Sovereign immunity laws protect governments and public entities from liability. Each state chooses its own sovereign immunity laws. Provisions under the Arizona Actions Against Public Entities or Public Employees statute, Article 2 12:820-826, outlines immunity restrictions, procedural rules for making claims and the statute of limitations to file complaints.
A West Coast jury recently decided a state transportation department was liable for the deaths caused by a 2010 truck accident. Caltrans was ordered to pay 60 percent of an $18.7 million damage award. The remaining 40 percent must be paid by a truck company.